Daily News Egypt

Dutch journalist departs Egypt following indictment - Daily News Egypt

Advertising Area




Advertising Area



Dutch journalist departs Egypt following indictment

Indicted Dutch journalist permitted to leave Egypt following “talks between the embassy and the authorities”


Dutch journalist Rena Netjes arrives on February 4, 2014 at Schiphol Airport, the Netherlands, after being accused by Egypt of being part of a "terror cell" involving Qatari-owned broadcaster Al-Jazeera. Netjes flew out of Cairo early February 4 after several days in hiding, following a crackdown on the pan-Arab satellite broadcaster which Cairo accuses of backing the Muslim Brotherhood ousted from power by the military in July.  AFP PHOTO / ANP / REMKO DE WAAL -- The Netherlands out --
Dutch journalist Rena Netjes arrives on February 4, 2014 at Schiphol Airport, the Netherlands, after being accused by Egypt of being part of a “terror cell” involving Qatari-owned broadcaster Al-Jazeera.
(AFP PHOTO)

Dutch reporter Rena Netjes landed in Amsterdam on Tuesday after it emerged that she was among 20 people who have been referred to the criminal court on 29 January on charges relating to the spreading of false news.

The Netherlands Embassy in Cairo confirmed on Tuesday Netjes had left the country, and a spokesman from the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed that she is expected to land in Amsterdam on the same day.

In the list of 20 names provided by the Egyptian prosecution for the case, there was one Dutch national named on the list as “Johanna Identity”.

The authorities in the Netherlands became aware that this was in fact referring to Netjes “last week”, according to a ministry spokesman.

The spokesman told Daily News Egypt that Netjes was allowed to leave Egypt “after talks between the embassy and the authorities”. The spokesman said he could not confirm if Netjes would still face trial.

Four foreigners are among the 20 indicted in January, including Australian Al Jazeera journalist Peter Greste. Netjes, who worked for BNR Nieuwsradio and Parool newspaper, is thought to have visited the Marriot Hotel where the Al Jazeera journalists had set up office to meet with one of the other journalists indicted in the case. Two Britons are also on the list of those referred to trial.

Netjes has never worked for Al Jazeera.

The foreign defendants are charged with colluding with the Egyptian defendants and a series of other charges, including broadcasting false news to support a terrorist group; harming the national interest of the country; disturbing public security; instilling fear among the people; causing damage to the public interest; and possession of communication, filming, broadcast, and video transmission equipment without a permit from the concerned authorities.

In April 2013, Netjes was subject to a citizen’s arrest and interrogated by the authorities before being released.

Additional reporting by Aaron T. Rose

Advertising Area

Advertising Area



https://www.dailynewsegypt.com/2014/02/04/dutch-journalist-departs-egypt-following-indictment/
Breaking News

No current breaking news

Daily News Egypt Android App Available for free download on Google play
View
Daily News Egypt Ios App Available for free download on APP Store
View
Social Media Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com