Fate of Nahed Sherif has yet to be decided by court - Daily News Egypt

Advertising banner

Advertising banner

Fate of Nahed Sherif has yet to be decided by court

Sherif was arrested along with three others last year and sentenced to two years


The case of Nahed Sherif, one of four people sentenced to two years of prison, has been postponed to next Sunday.

Mahmoud Belal, a lawyer representing Sherif, said the case is currently in the process of disputing the procedure of applying the two year verdict, which Sherif was handed along with Mohamed Atef, Osama Sabri and Kamal Mohamed. The verdict is being disputed at the Cassation Court, Egypt’s highest court of appeal.

They had been arrested during a sit-in in June 2012 and charged with assaulting police, terrorising citizens and attempting to burn down the High Court building.

The Sunday hearing was postponed a week because Sherif was never brought to the hearing, something the Ministry of Interior should have done, Belal said. Ashraf Abbas, one of the coordinators of the“I Am Against Torture”campaign said the four have been in detention ever since June 2012.

Belal said the verdict of Sherif is the only one currently being disputed. “We want to see her results first. We will do it for them one by one,” he said.

On 6 June2012, protesters outside the High Court building were demonstrating against the eligibility of former presidential candidate Ahmed Shafiq and for an independent judiciary when they were allegedly assaulted by a group of unknown men.

The attackers set fire to tents outside the courthouse and the building sustained damage.