Five-hour ceasefire was announced south of Damascus to allow women, children, elderly to depart
Latest in Highlight
The Syrian army has extended a nationwide ceasefire for three days as pro-Assad forces continue to advance against rebels in the north. Observers have called the truce mostly ineffective since its declaration last week.
The Syrian regime troops have announced a unilateral three-day ceasefire coinciding with the end of Muslim holy month of Ramadan. The truce applies to the whole country, according to the army’s statement.
A large-scale attack that was backed by Russia breached the borders of the Islamic State stronghold
Militant groups in Syria have refused to abide by the truce unless government troops stop the violence within 48 hours. The statement comes after President Assad’s army bombed rebel strongholds around Damascus.
Syrian government promises to repair all destroyed historic sites in city
The total number of Syrians registered as refugees was 1,401,435, the UNHCR warned that it was no longer able to meet their medical needs
At least 19 civilians, 28 rebels and eight soldiers have been killed since the launch of the offensive
The repeated firing on the airport road prompted the cancellation of a string of international flights
Overall, more than 41,000 people have died since the eruption of the uprising in March 2011, says Syrian Observatory for Human Rights
“Assad should be replaced by Vice President Faruq al-Shara.” says Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu
The round struck Hatay province at the western end of Turkey’s frontier with Syria, prompting fresh retaliatory fire
At least 153 people were killed in violence across Syria on Thursday — 83 civilians, 24 rebels and 46 soldiers.
The fighting in and around Aleppo has intensified to the point where the Red Crescent group decided to suspend some of its operations in the city
By AFP DAMASCUS: Syrian troops Tuesday pressed an assault on rebel strongholds in the Turkish border region, as the opposition urged foreign military intervention after dozens of women and children were killed in Homs. The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said Syrian forces used heavy machineguns to rake the town of El-Baraa in the …
By Alistair Lyon / Reuters BEIRUT: Elite Syrian forces trying to destroy rebels besieged in Homs pounded the shattered district of Baba Amro on Thursday, despite international alarm at the plight of civilians trapped there. Snow blanketed the city, slowing down the military assault, but also worsening conditions for civilians, activists said. “We have not seen …