The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement on Tuesday that it is following up closely on the abduction of six Egyptians in Libya.
The deputy minister for consulate affairs, Hisham Al-Naqeeb, said the information available on the incident so far indicates that six Egyptians working in Tripoli were abducted by an armed troop in Bani Walid area, after stopping the car that was taking them back to Egypt. The troop took them to an unknown location near Misurata and Bani Walid, he added.
The ministry listed the names of the abducted Egyptians, which included two siblings, as follows: Shawky Aly, Saleh Younis, Al-Sayed Ramadan, Al-Sayed Al-Shahat, and Ahmed Al-Shahat from Mansoura, and Ibrahim Hefzy from Minya.
The ministry also reiterated its warnings to Egyptians about travelling to Libya because of the turbulent security situation there.
In March, another group of 15 Egyptians disappeared in Libya, with official sources claiming they were detained at an illegal immigration centre on grounds of invalid paperwork, while families of the involved claimed they had been kidnapped by militia. They were later released.