A police conscript was shot dead Wednesday evening in Fayoum while on his way home from the tourist police, officials said.
A statement from the Ministry of Interior said the shooters have yet to be identified. Attacks on security forces and public facilities have increased in the governorate over the past few months, in addition to reports on planted bombs which occur on a regular basis.
Last week, another policeman was killed and three others injured in an attack on a police vehicle. The incident was preceded by another attack on a policeman’s car, which left his four-year-old daughter dead.
The security situation in Egypt continues to be of concern. One of the latest incidents to occur was on the day of the New Suez Canal inauguration by President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi, amidst large media coverage.
On 6 August, the Ministry of Interior announced in a statement the “killings of five suspects involved in attacks that led to the deaths of a policeman at the Niger embassy located in Cairo and a child in Fayoum”.
The statement added: “They were killed inside a farm owned by Muslim Brotherhood member Abdel Nasser Abdel Fattah”.
The statement also said that they were charged in several cases, including killing and arson amongst others. A fire-fight is said to have ensued and all five died, with no police officers reported as injured.
The deaths raise concerns over their legitimacy, whilst Ministry of Interior practices have also repeatedly been called into question through their handling of ‘terrorist’ threats in Egypt in recent weeks. Reports on activists “forcibly disappeared apparently by security forces” have increased amidst controversy.
Meanwhile, attacks on police and military forces continue across Egypt, claimed by different militant groups, foremost of which is ‘State of Sinai’ affiliated with IS,