Daily News Egypt

North Sinai roadside bomb injures 4 army personnel - Daily News Egypt

Advertising Area

Advertising Area

North Sinai roadside bomb injures 4 army personnel

'State of Sinai' militants post new propaganda photos alleging attacks on armed forces

'State of Sinai' militants and Egypt's armed forces are engaged in a propaganda struggle on social media. The Facebook page of the military spokesperson posted photos showing the destruction of "terrorist hideouts"
‘State of Sinai’ militants posted new photos on their Twitter account, part of a propaganda campaign aimed at showcasing their strength. (Screenshot from Twitter)

A roadside bomb west of Sheikh Zuweid in North Sinai exploded Sunday evening, leaving one army officer and three conscripts injured.

The soldiers were patrolling the area around Al-Tawil village, close to Qarm Al-Qawadis, when a bomb by the roadside exploded as an armoured military vehicle drove by, a representative from the military spokesman’s office said.

While the vehicle resisted the impact of the explosion, the soldiers inside were injured due to the pressure wave resulting from the blast. The force of the explosion knocked them off their seats resulting in injuries, which the spokesman described were minor.

The representative accused Sinai-based militant group Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis for planting the bomb, using the former name of the militant group now known as ‘State of Sinai’.

In a separate development, ‘State of Sinai’ posted 14 photos between Sunday evening and Monday morning on its main Twitter account, showcasing its members allegedly engaged in combat with the armed forces.

While the photos show masked men holding automatic weapons and rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs), it is unclear what the intended targets were. Other photos feature heavily armed masked men riding on pick-up trucks.

All vehicles are painted in a shade of light brown that is similar to the colour of sand. The side windows are painted as well.

The colouring of the vehicles seems intended to make it harder for helicopters and planes to detect them from the sky, though it does make them particularly conspicuous at the ground level.

Three additional photos show a group of masked men all dressed in black standing next to a carefully arranged display of heavy weapons spread on the ground in front of them.

The military spokesman called the photos an Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis’s “fabrication”. They could have been taken in deserts in Iraq or Syria, or may have been taken during the turmoil in 2011, he said.

Daily News Egypt found no visual evidence in the photos to determine whether they had been taken in Egypt or not.

The group posted photos last week showing its members handing out thin envelopes allegedly containing money to Rafah residents, displaced by the authorities to establish the buffer zone along the Gaza border. It was the first time the militants claimed to be providing a “social service”.

Advertising Area

Advertising Area

Breaking News

No current breaking news

Daily News Egypt Android App Available for free download on Google play
Daily News Egypt Ios App Available for free download on APP Store