Daily News Egypt

Three dead in Friday clashes - Daily News Egypt

Advertising Area



Advertising Area




Three dead in Friday clashes

Ministry of Health updates Friday death toll to three, 10 injured


Supporters of ousted President Mohamed Morsi protest in Fayoum  on Friday  (Photo courtesy of FJP)
Supporters of ousted President Mohamed Morsi protest in Fayoum on Friday
(Photo courtesy of FJP)

Clashes between supporters of ousted President Mohamed Morsi and security forces persisted on Friday, resulting in three deaths and 10 injuries, said the Ministry of Health on Saturday.

The governorates of Giza, Minya and Fayoum each recorded one death and there were ten injuries reported across the three governorates. Six of the injured remain in hospital for treatment and observation.

The Anti-Coup Alliance, a coalition of groups backed by the Muslim Brotherhood, said in a Friday statement: “The exhausted terrorist coup forces have played all their cards and are unable to cope with the revolution.” The alliance accused the security forces of “returning to the same heinous crimes and… to criminality and murder in the squares, prisons, unions, factories [and] courts.” The statement also acknowledged those who died in Friday’s clashes.

Earlier on Friday two homemade explosive devices were thrown at a police checkpoint on the Giza Bridge. Militant group Agnad Misr later claimed responsibility for the attack that injured six people in a statement published on jihadist online forums. Little is known about the group, however it did claim other bomb attacks that occurred on 24 January, a day that Sinai based militants Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis also claimed bombings but also attributed some to its “brother” group.

Last week the alliance announced a week of protests under the banner “the people complete their revolution”, calling for Egyptians to “revitalise daily revolutionary action, with full commitment to creative peaceful resistance”.

Morsi’s supporters have protested consistently since his ouster in July last year, which has often resulted in the outbreak of clashes between security forces and demonstrators. Security forces launched an intensified crackdown on demonstrations since the ratification of a new Protest Law last November requiring protest organisers to obtain a permit ahead of any planned street action.

 

Advertising Area

Advertising Area



https://www.dailynewsegypt.com/2014/02/08/three-dead-friday-clashes/
Breaking News

No current breaking news

Daily News Egypt Android App Available for free download on Google play
View
Daily News Egypt Ios App Available for free download on APP Store
View
Social Media Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com