The daily infections of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in Egypt have increased again because citizens neglect precautionary measures, Ministry of Health Spokesperson Khaled Mogahed has said.
In televised statements on Monday evening, Mogahed said the virus still exists in Egypt, and that the ministry has reopened 21 isolation hospitals previously allocated to accept COVID-19 cases. He emphasised that the ministry’s decision to do so does not mean that the country is facing a new wave of the virus.
On Tuesday, the Ministry of Health reported 168 new coronavirus cases, and 24 new deaths. The country’s total number of confirmed cases reached 95,834, with 5,059 fatalities. A total of 54,888 cases have recovered and been discharged from quarantine facilities at hospitals.
Mogahed added that no one could anticipate the timing of the second wave.
“The average percentage of recovery has reached 95.3% among those who are not suffering from chronic diseases, and 78.4% for those who are suffering from chronic diseases, whilst the recovery percentage for cases with mild symptoms has reached 99%,” he said.
Re-imposing partial lockdown measures is not currently an option, although Mogahed highlighted that the Ministry of Health calls on the Egyptians to remain vigilant of precautionary measures.
Meanwhile, the Egyptian Medical Syndicate (EMS) announced the deaths of two doctors of COVID-19 on Wednesday. The new fatalities raised the death toll of the pandemic among doctors to 145, with over 3,000 doctors infected.