Defence lawyers of renowned lawyer Malek Adly said they withdrew from the prosecution investigations on Sunday in objection to alleged legal violations during investigations.
According to one of the lawyers, Mokhtar Mounir, the lawyers requested to assign a judge to follow the investigations on 18 July, accusing the prosecutors of committing violations during investigations with Adly.
Those violations were outlined by the defence lawyers as not presenting an official copy of the case documents to the lawyers and not investigating complaints submitted by the lawyers on violations committed against Adly during his detention period. They also included placing him in solitary confinement and banning him from exercising and from being visited by his lawyers, despite several requests.
Earlier in July, Adly was ordered to sign a consent document mandating his defence lawyers to file an appeal into the case. However, his lawyers said in a statement that they had not proposed any appeals in the first place.
“The prolonged pretrial detention of Adly is illegal, most certainly amid lack of providing sufficient evidence to defy charges against him,” the lawyers concluded.
Adly, a young rights defender, was detained earlier in May on accusations of inciting people to protest, publishing false news, and attempting to overthrow the regime in relation to statements he made on the recent demarcation deal between Egypt and Saudi Arabia that transferred the sovereignty of Tiran and Sanafir islands to Saudi Arabia.