The Egyptian Football Association spokesperson Mahmoud Al-Shamy said the Egyptian Premier League will resume starting from 19 February, in a press conference on Sunday.
“The resumption of the football activity is subject to the cabinet decision as well as the interior ministry,” Al-Shamy said.
“The postponing of the league will harm a wide segment of those who work in the football industry,” he added, referring that the budget for some sporting clubs reach EGP 300m.
The league was paused indefinitely following clashes between Zamalek club fans and the police forces ahead of attending a game between Zamalek and ENPPI last Sunday.
A stampede at the gate of the stadium left at least 27 dead and 3 policemen injured, according to the morgue personnel. However, there is no clear official number on the total number of deaths.
This was the first time fans had been allowed back to attend football games in Egypt. In March 2014, the interior ministry banned fans for teams of Al-Ahly, Zamalek, Al-Ismaily from attending any football games in the national league, for security purposes.
The interior ministry had said it has deliberately dispersed the rallies after attempts from the crowd to block the road and trying to prevent the bus carrying Zamalek club players from entering the stadium.