Daily News Egypt

Nasr City explosions highly deplorable: MB spokeswoman - Daily News Egypt

Advertising Area

Advertising Area

Nasr City explosions highly deplorable: MB spokeswoman

Five injuries; MOI claims another bomb had been defused

Egyptian security officials inspect the wreckage of a bus that was damaged by an explosion on 26 December 2013 in Cairo. (Photo by AFP)
Egyptian security officials inspect the wreckage of a bus that was damaged by an explosion on 26 December 2013 in Cairo. (Photo by AFP)

Muslim Brotherhood acting spokeswoman Wafa’a Al-Banna said that the Muslim Brotherhood and Anti-Coup Alliance find the Nasr City explosions that happened Thursday morning to be “highly deplorable”; however, before fingers are pointed and accusations made, there must be proof.

Al-Banna said that the Muslim Brotherhood would not commit such an act: “The only institution benefiting from the explosions is the government, due to their tough position… now they are attacking their own people.”

“The pro-Mubarak regime is fighting with the generals of the army against the revolution. They tried forcing people into fighting but they couldn’t do it, and now, they are committing these crimes, which makes us very angry because they are killing Egyptians,” Al-Banna added.

Spokesman for the free Egyptians party Shehab Wagih said that although there is no proof of a connection between the explosions and the Muslim Brotherhood, their rhetoric of inciting hate and violence towards the army and police is clear, which may prompt more extremist organisations to commit these acts.

“They should stop at once with these threats and incitements, and retract their position,” said Wagih.

Earlier on Thursday, a homemade explosive device detonated near the Al-Azhar university complex in Mostafa Al-Nahas Street, Nasr City.

In a statement, the Ministry of Interior said that around 9am, a homemade bomb was placed on the central pavement near the intersection between Youssef Abbas and Mostafa Al-Nahas streets.

“The blast caused glass from a public transportation bus to be shattered, which resulted in the injury of five people who were transported to the hospital for treatment… the Civil Protection Forces and Explosives Disposal Unit scanned the area and discovered another explosive device inside one of the billboards. It was equipped with a remote control and was successfully deactivated,”the statement read.

According to state run Al-Ahram, investigative authorities discovered that the bus, coincidentally, broke down directly above the bomb, which prompted passengers to get off, saving dozens of lives in the process.

The prosecution will head to the health insurance hospital and question the injured individuals.

Advertising Area

Advertising Area

Breaking News

No current breaking news

Daily News Egypt Android App Available for free download on Google play
Daily News Egypt Ios App Available for free download on APP Store