- Drink: Amar el Din
- Soup: Seafood soup
- Salad: Tehina
- Main course: Fish sayadeya
- Fish Rice
- Dessert : Atayef with nuts
1 kilo fish, bluefish or grouper – mi-as or wa-ar
2 tbsp cumin – ka-moon
½ tbs fresh ginger, crushed – gan-za-beel
1 tbs curry – ka-ry
1 tbs coriander – koz-ba-ra
6 garlic cloves – toom
3 onions medium size, chopped – ba-sal
2 lemons, juiced – la-moon
2 tomatoes, juiced – ta-ma-tam
½ cup water – ma-ya
salt and pepper – malh and fil-fil
- Clean and wash the fish well.
- Mix the cumin, ginger, curry, coriander, onions, garlic and water in a food processor.
- Pour half of the mix in the bottom of a medium casserole. Put the fish on top of the layer and add the rest of the mix on top of the fish, covering it completely.
- Heat the oven on medium heat (200 C). Place the casserole in the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until cooked well
- Serve the fish in the dish with rice on the side.
An alternative way to prepare fish sayadeya
- Clean and wash fish well.
- Cut into steaks of 1.5 cm thick or use ready cut fish steaks.
- Fry the onions in oil over medium heat until just brown. Make sure to not over fry.
- Fill ¾ of a deep pan with water (about 8 cups) and put over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, cumin, salt and pepper and bring to boil.
- Add fish steaks to the pan and leave to boil for 10 minutes until fish turns brown.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Put 4 cups of onions sauce in a medium deep, non-stick pan over medium heat. Wash rice well and drain.
- Add rice and stir until water is almost absorbed.
- Cover, move to low heat and leave to cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve rice on a platter and arrange fish slices on top or serve separately.
- Put remaining sauce in a serving bowl and serve as soup.
- You can fry the fish steaks instead of boiling them in onion mixture. In this case reduce the quantity of water to 4 cups.
- When the water boils, add the rice and follow the rest of the steps as stated.