MIDDLESBROUGH: Middlesbrough expressed their frustration Wednesday after a Newcastle United fan who admitted directing Islamophobic abuse at Egyptian striker Mido did not receive a banning order.
Barry Hutchinson, 49, pleaded guilty to an offence of racist or obscene chanting under the Football Offences Act 1991 during the Magpies goalless north-east derby draw at Middlesbrough on Nov. 29 at Teesside Magistrates Court on Tuesday.
Hutchinson, whose son denies the same charge, was fined £270 with £45 costs ($466 in total) but escaped a banning order that would have prevented him from going to football matches in England.
We are disappointed that a banning order has not been issued in this case, said a Middlesbrough spokesman.
It makes it very difficult for football clubs to have a robust anti-racism policy without the support of the courts.
Despite this setback, we will continue to be vigilant and supportive of the police in tackling all discriminatory and anti-social behavior.
The individual concerned will also be banned from the Riverside Stadium (Middlesbrough s home ground).
A Football Association (FA) spokesman also voiced the governing body s displeasure: The FA is disappointed that a football banning order was not imposed in this case.
It is important to send out a strong message that racist and discriminatory chanting is totally unacceptable, and that anyone found guilty will face serious consequences.
We welcome Middlesbrough FC s commitment to ban the individual convicted in this case.
Last week Mido blamed the FA for the fact he was subjected to Islamophobic chanting for the second year in a row, saying the organization s lack of action last year contributed to a repeat this season.
They kept chanting disgusting words, racist words about Islam and unfortunately, this is the second time that the same fans have done this, Mido told Egyptian television station Al Hayat.
It happened again because after the first time the English FA did nothing. I considered this as an invitation from the English FA to the Newcastle supporters to repeat such shameful acts. -AFP