The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will send out consular staff to facilitate the safe return of Egyptians residing in Libya, according to a Monday statement of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The statement said the ministry monitors the developments in Libya and its implications on the conditions of the Egyptian community in the country.
The ministry urges Egyptians to avoid travelling to Libya for the time being and for the Egyptian residents in Libya to take measures of extreme caution to stay away from the violence in the country.
Mohamed Badr El-Din, assistant to the foreign minister, met with British official envoy to Libya Jonathan Powell to discuss the developments in Libya. Badr El-Din stressed on the importance of supporting the Libyan government to counter attempts to spread chaos in the country.
Egypt has expressed concerns regarding the violence in Libya in an official statement issued last week.
Tunisian interim President Moncef Marzouki said that the ideal solution to face the security threat is to secure Libyan borders, Tunis Afrique Presse reported, as the instability in the country represents a threat to all its neighbours.
A group of militants attacked Egyptian guards on the Egyptian- Libyan boarder leaving 22 Egyptian military personnel killed, injuring another five and resulting in the death of “several terrorists”, according to a statement by the armed forced on Saturday.
The National Defence Council resolved to “avenge the terrorist act”.