Students organised 1,427 protests in fall semester: Democracy Meter

AbdelHalim H. AbdAllah
3 Min Read
Egyptian students who support the Muslim Brotherhood and ousted Islamist president Mohamed Morsi clash with riot police following a demonstration outside Cairo University on March 26, 2014. The demonstration was organised to protest against a court ruling that sentenced to death 529 Islamists for the murder and attempted murder of several policemen during riots in the southern city of Minya on August 14. (AFP PHOTO / KHALED DESOUKI)
Egyptian students who support the Muslim Brotherhood and ousted Islamist president Mohamed Morsi clash with riot police following a demonstration outside Cairo University on March 26, 2014. The demonstration was organised to protest against a court ruling that sentenced to death 529 Islamists for the murder and attempted murder of several policemen during riots in the southern city of Minya on August 14.  (AFP PHOTO / KHALED DESOUKI)
Egyptian students who support the Muslim Brotherhood and ousted Islamist president Mohamed Morsi clash with riot police following a demonstration outside Cairo University on March 26, 2014.
(AFP PHOTO / KHALED DESOUKI)

Democracy Meter Monday announced that 1,427 student protests took place during the fall semester, making an average of 11 protests per day.

Protests occurred at more than 30 educational facilities, varying from universities, faculty, and institutions, according to the report.

Al-Azhar University hosted 20% of all protests, while Cairo University hosted 12%, or 169 protests. Alexandria University ranked third, with 8%, or 110 protests.

The universities of Ain Shams, Zagazig, Helwan, Mansoura, Menufiya, Assiut, Minya occupied the fourth through tenth spots. Together the 10 universities saw 75% of all student protests.

During the semester, more than 1,050 students were referred to administration for investigation; 611 students were suspended and 10 students were prevented from taking their exams. Documented arrests reached 1,326 students and 37 faculty members. A precise count of killed and injured students is not available.

Twenty governorates were involved in violence, Democracy Meter reported. Cairo governorate, home of the Al-Azhar and Ain Shams Universities, witnessed 105 violent incidents, while Sharkeya witnessed 45, Dakahleya witnessed 42, and Giza witnessed 41.

During protests, demonstrators set fire to public and private property 21 times, attacked residents 17 times, and assaulted journalists 5 times.

Due to the absence of administrative security, Democracy Meter reported, clashes broke out among students on campus 152 times.

Eighty-seven percent of demonstrations were held to protest the military-backed ouster of former president Mohamed Morsi; 13% were based on educational demands.

The students organised 363 protests denouncing Morsi’s ouster, 64 protests denouncing his trial, 658 protests demanding the release of detained students and faculty members, and 72 protests denouncing student deaths.

Meanwhile, 72 protests were organised by students supporting the armed forces in what it calls a “war on terrorism”, 90 protests were organised by independent students to denounce violence in universities. Students also protested for other political reasons, such as objecting to the Protest Law and calling for a boycott of the constitution.

Democracy Meter started in 2009 as an initiative of the Egyptian Association for Community Participation Enhancement to issue periodic reports on the status of democracy in Egypt. The programme became independent in 2010, and in 2012, merged with the International Development Center for legal purposes. In an effort to maintain transparency, however, Democracy Meter collects donations independently.

Share This Article
Follow AbdelHalim on twitter: @Abdukhalim1
136 Comments