Somali security forces on Tuesday evening ended a 10-hour siege by Al-Shabab militants at a residential building in Mogadishu, the capital of Somalia, that left 10 civilians dead, said a source of the government.
Seven people, including four security officers, were wounded, the Ministry of Information, Culture, and Tourism said.
“The security forces shot dead the four attackers behind the raid,” the ministry said in a statement issued in Mogadishu.
On Tuesday afternoon, extremists stormed the residential building accommodating pro-government militia who were receiving treatment after being injured in military operations in central Somalia.
Al-Shabab, which claimed responsibility for the latest attack through its media affiliates, claimed that its fighters killed at least 70 people, including soldiers and militias.
The Somali government, backed by pro-government militia, has been conducting joint operations in central Somalia to flush out Shabab militants from their hideouts.
Government forces have intensified their attacks against al-Shabab since President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud declared an all-out war against the militants last year.