After a 7-day siege of the city of Jericho in the West Bank, and the closure of its main and secondary entrances, Israeli forces stormed, on Saturday, the camp of Aqba Jabr south of the town.
The attack injured 13 people in Aqaba Jabr camp, and clashes broke out.
This raid came amid rising tension between the Palestinians and Israel against the backdrop of a bloody Israeli attack on the Jenin refugee camp days ago.
The Israeli military said that its air strikes targeted rocket and weapons manufacturing sites used by the Hamas movement that runs the besieged Strip, and that the attacks came in response to Wednesday’s rocket launch.
No Palestinian group claimed responsibility for the rocket launch.
The incidents highlight the escalating tension between Israel and the Palestinians after seven people were shot dead by a Palestinian gunman outside a synagogue in East Jerusalem last week, and after an Israeli raid in the Jenin refugee camp killed 10 Palestinians, including eight activists.
It is noteworthy that last year was the bloodiest in the West Bank for more than a decade as violence steadily escalated following a series of mutual Palestinian-Israeli attacks.
The Palestinian Ministry of Health said that six people were injured on Saturday by army fire and were taken to Jericho hospital, where two were reported in serious condition with chest and abdominal injuries and the rest were injured in the limbs.
It said that Israeli forces had obstructed the entry of Palestinian paramedics and health workers to reach their workplaces in Jericho.
The siege of Jericho was imposed seven days ago after an attempted shooting at an Israeli-run restaurant located outside Jericho. No one was injured in the shooting, but the military claims the shooter fled to Jericho.