Daily News Egypt

Update: Death toll at football game rises to 27 - Daily News Egypt

Advertising Area

Advertising Area

Update: Death toll at football game rises to 27

The fans had been entering the stadium to watch the game between Zamalek and Enppi team


27 people were killed after police attempted to disperse fans whilst entering the Air Force Stadium in Cairo on Sunday, according to morgue personnel.

The fans had been entering the stadium to watch the game between Zamalek and Enppi team.

“I was calling a friend of mine when somebody else answered saying he was dead,” Mohamed A told Daily News Egypt. Mohamed added he soon went to the morgue to find his friend and also to realise that he was one in 27 dead.

This was the first time fans had been allowed back to attend football games in Egypt. In March 2014, the interior ministry banned fans for teams of Al-Ahly, Zamalek, Al-Ismaily from attending any football games in the national league, for security purposes.

The interior ministry said it has deliberately dispersed the rallies after attempts from the crowd to block the road and trying to prevent the bus carrying Zamalek club players from entering the stadium, in an official statement.

The statement added, at 6.00pm tens of thousands intensively crowded at the entrance gate, who did not have tickets, however the police forces allowed those who have tickets to enter safely.

According to witnesses from today’s game, “there was a greater number of attendees, more than the tickets issued, which raised tensions between the attendees and security forces”.

The police forces tried then to disperse the rally. Witnesses also added that a police car was set on fire during the clashes.

The official page for Ultras White Knights also announced that there was a metal gate surrounded by barbed wire, enough to let only one person enter. The page added that when people started to crowd the entrance door, the security forces shot tear gas and rubber bullets.

In February 2012, more than 70 people were killed in post-match violence after a game in Port Said Stadium.

Advertising Area

Advertising Area

Breaking News

No current breaking news

Receive our daily newsletter