Daily News Egypt

Tourism ministry to form advisory council of travel companies and hotels: Zaazou - Daily News Egypt

Advertising Area




Advertising Area




Tourism ministry to form advisory council of travel companies and hotels: Zaazou

Advisory council to assist tourism minister with practical experience


An advisory council comprised of travel companies and hotel owners to assist the Tourism ministry, Minister of Tourism said. (AFP Photo)
An advisory council comprised of travel companies and hotel owners to assist the Tourism ministry, Minister of Tourism said.
(AFP Photo)

The Ministry of Tourism is to form an advisory council of private sector workers to assist the Minister of Tourism Hisham Zaazou and provide studies and recommendations, Zaazou said.

Zaazou said during a press conference Wednesday that the council, which will be made up of travel companies and hotels, will assist him with practical experience to make up for shortfalls in the different sectors.

“I have no problem receiving proposals from company owners and employees; the door to my office is open throughout the day to all,” Zaazou said.

The ministry intends to alter the charter flights programme that has been in place for over 10 years, in the light of global changes that have impacted major tourism exporting markets.

Zaazou said: “The vacant seat system is no longer appropriate at present, and we are considering implementing a filled seats system to increase tourist arrivals to Egypt.”

The number of tourists visiting Egypt fell during the first half 2014 to 4.5 million, a decrease of 25% compared to the same period last year.

The minister, in an interview with Daily News Egypt last week, said that charter flights to Luxor and Aswan would be promoted to enhance tourism to the two Upper Egypt cities.

“Cultural tourism has been in crisis for three and a half years and the field must be supported under current conditions so that Egypt can bring about a restoration of tourism,” Zaazou said.

Beach tourism represents approximately 90% of total tourism to Egypt annually. Nile, cultural, and safari tourism represent the remaining 10%, according to the Sub-Accounts Unit of the Ministry of Tourism.

https://www.dailynewsegypt.com/2014/09/09/tourism-ministry-form-advisory-council-travel-companies-hotels-zaazou/
Breaking News

No current breaking news

Receive our daily newsletter
Subscribe