By Nourhan Dakroury
The National Council for Motherhood and Childhood released a statement on Sunday announcing that it has presented a memo to the general prosecution demanding information about all children who were detained in light of recent events.
“Lawyers of the coalition (Egyptian Coalition for Children’s Rights) are still gathering and compiling the full information and numbers of detained children,” said Fady Wagdy, a lawyer at ECCR.
“So far we are sure about the detention of 31 children in light of the dispersal of the Rabaa Al-Adaweya sit-in, 3 of which have been released,” Wagdy said.
Wagdy said that ECCR should release a statement with the full details of the numbers of children detained after the sit-ins in Rabaa Al-Adaweya and Al-Nahda were dispersed, as well as those detained during the Ramses clashes.
The National Council for Motherhood and Childhood condemned involving children in marches and sit-ins, describing it as “political exploitation” and adding, “Such marches aim at spreading violence and terror exploiting innocent children and women as political shields,” as reported by Aswat Masriya.
The council stressed, in the statement, that it works for the good of all Egyptian children, regardless of the affiliation of their parents, since all children in Egypt have rights which should be respected as outlined by the constitution, the children’s law and all international and regional agreements.
The council had previously filed a report to the Prosecutor General demanding the removal of children from sit-ins supporting former president Mohamed Morsi.