By Deena Wahba
Police will not harass protesters on 30 June, the Minister of Interior Mohamed Ibrahim has announced.
“The preparations taken by security agencies to secure the protests on 30 June are based on a fixed strategy that had been used since 2011 Revolution,” Ibrahim said on Tuesday during a conference on combating drugs.
“This strategy is based on two basic axes: First, the [ministry] strives towards achieving security for citizens, protecting their public and private property and working on the stability in the street.
“Second, the [Interior Ministry] will stay away from the political equation and not interfere in the politics of the nation.”
Ibrahim outlined the security plan for 30 June, saying: “[It] will be based on spreading and intensifying security patrols in all streets, squares and main roads in order to achieve security for the citizens and their properties.”
He added security forces will take “necessary measures to secure important and vital institutions,” adding that “precautions and procedures” will be in place to protect political events, marches, and demonstrations acting within the bounds of “of democracy and freedom of expression.”
“I pledge in front of everyone not to harass peaceful demonstrators in any governorate,” Ibrahim said.
“I pray to God that these demonstrations will be held peacefully, reflecting Egypt’s civilisation and the nobility of its people,” he concluded.