CAIRO: The public prosecution office has ordered that 60 people be detained following clashes between security forces and residents of Cairo’s Gezirat Mohamed and Tanash areas.
The clashes occurred on Friday when some 3,000 people blocked Cairo’s Ring Road. The crowd had been taking part in a demonstration against a prime ministerial decision to make the areas subject to the governorate of Sixth of October instead of Giza, in administrative matters.
Clashes between protestors and security forces reportedly resulted in minor injuries. A YouTube video shows what appears to be teargas being used in what the video’s author says is Gezirat Mohamed.
A total of 65 people were arrested following the clashes. Five were released on Saturday while the remaining group of 60 were remanded in custody for four days during investigation into charges of taking part in an illegal gathering, causing injury to a police officer and incitement.
On Sunday the group of 60 defendants were scheduled to appear before the North Cairo Court for an administrative procedure related to their detention. This however was postponed until Sunday, and moved to the South Cairo Court.
Activist Walid El-Sayyed told Daily News Egypt that “no reason” was given for the postponement.