MILAN: Italian police have arrested an Egyptian and a Libyan suspected of aiding a bomb attack against a police barracks in the northern city of Milan, the city s assistant prosecutor said Tuesday.
Suspected assailant Mohamed Game, 35, of Libya lost his hand and eyesight in the blast early Monday. He was arrested and hospitalized immediately afterwards.
The other casualty was a paramilitary policeman who was slightly injured by glass shards from a window in his sentry box.
Investigators found 40 kilograms of ammonitrate fertilizer, frequently used in homemade explosives, in an apartment near the barracks, Armando Spataro said, adding that Game had bought the substance last week.
Game and the two suspected accomplices, Abdel Haziz Mahmoud Kol of Egypt and Libyan Mohamed Imbaeya Israfel, face charges of manufacturing, possessing and transporting explosives, Spataro told a news briefing.
Game was to be charged with the attack shortly, he added.
The arrests of the suspected accomplices were ordered after relatives and friends of Game spoke to police.
The assailant tried to enter the barracks morning and hurled an explosive device towards the building, causing only minor damage.
It is a very serious matter in itself but its general impact should not be overestimated, Spataro said.
An intelligence source told the ANSA news agency on Monday: At present we consider it to be an isolated act by someone who has no specific antecedents of this type.
Press reports say Game, who has lived in Italy since 2003, has an Italian partner and children, had recently lost his job, suffered from depression and had attended a nearby mosque for a short time before the attack. -AFP