CAIRO: Egypt’s Ministry of Health announced four new cases of swine flu, one late Sunday and three on Monday, pushing the total number of reported cases up to 23.
Late Sunday, Health Ministry Spokesperson Abdel Rahman Shahin announced the 20th case of H1N1 virus: a 14-month-old Canadian-Sudanese boy. The patient arrived to Cairo from Canada on June 11 on KLM airline.
The patient first displayed flu-like symptoms on June 12 and is currently being treated at an Egyptian hospital.
On Monday, Shahin announced three new cases of H1N1: The Sudanese grandmother, 49, of the 14-month-old-boy that tested positive for H1N1 late Sunday; and a 38-year-old American woman and her 13-year-old daughter who arrived to Cairo to visit the four-year-old American child who tested positive for H1N1 flu on Sunday morning.
According to Shahin, all new cases that were detected since last week are in a stable condition and are receiving treatment. Nine cases have totally recovered: the seven AUC students, the Egyptian engineer who lives in Alexandria and the 12-year-old girl who was the first case of H1N1 reported in Egypt.
In related news, employees working at the South Tower of Cairo’s Nile City office building were told that there was one suspected case of swine flu on the 13th floor.
However, they were not told to evacuate and were asked not to panic.
Egypt was clear of swine flu until June 1.
The Ministry of Health did not decree any stringent regulations to contain the virus, only advising citizens to open windows in public transport and avoid crowded areas.
On Thursday, the World Health Organization (WHO) raised the alert level to the maximum stage six, signaling a global pandemic.
However, the organization did not stipulate travel restrictions or border closures.
According to WHO, 74 countries have officially reported 29,669 cases of H1N1 flu, including 145 deaths.
Egypt comes second in the number of swine flu cases in the Middle East, after Israel that has reported 117 cases with 23 new cases announced on Sunday. Kuwait comes third with 18 cases.
On Monday, Bahrain reported seven confirmed cases and Saudi Arabia announced more new cases raising its total number of cases to 14.
On Monday Canada announced six more H1N1 deaths. Australia closed two schools after four students tested positive for the virus.
On Sunday, the UK announced its first death from H1N1.