Home
Loading...
You are here:  Home  >  Politics  >  Egypt  >  Current Article

Brotherhood trial postponed to October

  /   1 Comment   /   321 Views

Detained senior Muslim Brotherhood leaders did not attend first hearing

Muslim Brotherhood leaders Khairat el-Shater (R) and Mohammed Badie (KHALED DESOUKI,STR/AFP/Getty Images)

Muslim Brotherhood leaders Khairat el-Shater (R) and Mohammed Badie (KHALED DESOUKI,STR/AFP/Getty Images)

The trial of Muslim Brotherhood leaders facing charges of killing protesters was postponed to 29 October by the South Cairo Criminal Court on Sunday.

Supreme Guide of the Muslim Brotherhood Mohamed Badie and his two deputies Khairat El-Shater and Rashad Bayoumi did not appear in court for the trial’s first hearing for security reasons.

The three defendants are facing charges for killing protesters in front of the group’s headquarters in Moqattam on 30 June.

During the brief hearing defence lawyers demanded the release of Badie, El-Shater, and Bayoumi ; Mohamed Al-Domaty, representing the defence, said the three had been “subjected to a campaign of arrests,” according to Aswat Masriya.

The three leaders of the group, along with three other members, face charges of murder, attempted murder and the possession of explosives and automatic weapons.

The Brotherhood members were arrested following President Mohamed Morsi’s ouster.

The US, through White House spokesman Josh Earnest, said Badie’s arrest last week was the “latest in a series of actions that the Egyptian government has taken that does not reflect their commitment to an inclusive political process.”

The Brotherhood accused the interim government of attempting to “settle accounts” by arresting Badie, saying the series of arrests were made under “fabricated charges with no legally acceptable evidence.”


You might also like...

17 Morsi supporters sentenced to life imprisonment

Read More →