You are here:  Home  >  Politics  >  Egypt  >  Current Article

Mohamed Morsi wins


The candidate from the Muslim Brotherhood’s Freedom and Justice Party becomes the first civilian President of Egypt

After a week of unofficial claims of victory, Mohamed Morsi is officially declared President of Egypt.

After a week of unofficial claims of victory, Mohamed Morsi is officially declared President of Egypt.

After two rounds of elections, appeals filed by both sides and delays in delivering a final announcement the Presidential Electoral Commission addressed the nation from the State Information Service Press Hall, declaring that after nearly one week of reviewing the election results they have found Mohamed Morsi, candidate from the Muslim Brotherhood’s Freedom and Justice Party to have unequivocally defeated Ahmed Shafiq, former Prime Minister under Hosni Mubarak, making him the President of Egypt with 51% of the vote.

Crowds gathered across Egypt, awaiting the final result of an intense week of anxious guessing, premature claims of victory, and accusations of election fraud.

In Tahrir Square, Supporters of Mohamed Morsi, have been gathered in the tens of thousands since last Thursday celebrating what they have claimed since almost the first poll centers closed was his victory.

In Nasr City, supporters of Shafiq gathered since last night at the Memorial of the Unknown Soldier greeted the news with disappointment voiced in anger, tears and calls for a recount, their fears of a Muslim Brotherhood-led Egypt realized in the PEC announcement.

President Morsi inherits a nation divided. Those who voted against him fear at best a marriage of religion and state, and at worst an Islamization of the identity of the nation.

Mohamed Morsi and his party have faced significant loss of control over Egypt’s governance in the last three months. A High Court declaration dissolved the parliament they dominated and another court still threatens to dissolve their party based on a Nasser-era law.

Ahmed Shafiq’s support rested on the presumption of a return to stability. His supporters will face off against the new government with strong demands for a swift stabilization of the nation’s security and economy.

  • Grandpa Dave

    Disinterest? Only 5% of the population voted in the runoff. I wonder what the other 95% want? They probably do not care as long as they have 40 acres and a camel.


    It is a partial victory but bettar than nothing.
    Congritulation to all Egyptians.
    Good patience and well civilized.

You might also like...

Egyptian security forces check a woman's bag outside a polling station as she arrives to cast her vote in Egypt's northern coastal city of Alexandria on May 28, 2014 after the electoral commission extended a presidential vote for a third day, amid reports of a low turnout in the first poll after the overthrow of Islamist leader Mohamed Morsi, state media said. About 37 percent of Egypt's eligible voters cast ballots in two days of presidential elections, an electoral official said. 


Parliamentary applications to be accepted from 8 February

Read More →