Minister of Finance Mohamed Maait announced that the presidential initiative to replace old vehicles manufactured over 20 years ago with new natural gas-powered ones is expanding its base of beneficiaries.
The expansion’s facilities will be provided in a manner that is consistent with the efforts of the state to transition to clean energy and localise the automotive industry and its feeding industries.
In a statement issued on Saturday, Maait said that the state’s public treasury has borne EGP 314m so far to fund more than 14,700 new cars for beneficiaries who meet the conditions.
He pointed out that obstacles have also been removed for heirs who own old cars and cannot join the initiative due to the fact that less than two years have passed since they officially owned the car, saying they are now allowed to join the initiative without considering ownership dates.
For his part, Amgad Mounir, the First Assistant Minister and Chairperson of the Vehicle Replacement Fund, said that the total requests on the initiative’s website have so far reached 37,000, and about 14,100 scrapping requests have been filed for old cars, including 13,500 passenger cars and taxis as well as 600 microbuses.
He stressed that the initiative’s management is keen to cooperate with all ministries and concerned authorities to remove obstacles to double companies’ production of cars manufactured locally.
Tarek Awad, the Spokesperson of the Initiative at the Ministry of Finance, said that there is a continuous follow-up on citizens’ suggestions through the initiative’s official page on Facebook and various means of communication.
Moreover, the initiative’s management is working to consider implementing any proposals citizens make to increase their participation through the initiative’s website www.gogreenmasr.com.
He explained that there is also continuous coordination with the concerned authorities to make the process of joining the initiative easier for citizens.