The Egyptian prosecutor-general met with Rome’s chief prosecutor Monday to discuss updates in the case of the death of Italian researcher Giulio Regeni, agreeing to organize a meeting between Italian investigators their counterparts in the Egyptian Police.
Egyptian prosecutor-general Nabil Sadek and Rome’s chief prosecutor Giuseppe Pignatone issued a joint statement following their meeting in Cairo in which they said they agreed on developing cooperation between the two countries to help solve the case.
Earlier on Monday the Italian foreign minister Paolo Gentiloni said that Pignatone’s trip to Cairo will bring a definite improvement to cooperation with Egyptian authorities as both parties probe the death by torture of Regeni, the Italian news agency ANSA reported.
“Up until now, cooperation hasn’t been sufficient. I’m convinced that this meeting can at least try to lay the basis for a more intense and satisfying collaboration,” Gentiloni said.
Regeni, 28, was found in a ditch along the Cairo-Alexandria Desert Road on 3 February, nine days after his disappearance. Several media reports suggested, on the basis of the marks found on his body, that Egyptian security agencies might have a hand in his death. The claims have repeatedly been denied by Egyptian officials.