Three are dead after a residential building collapsed in the Giza neighbourhood of Abou Al-Nomoros early Saturday morning.
According to the state-owned news agency MENA, Said Dwedar, Sabah Ahmed, and their son Abdullah were killed in the collapse of the two-storey structure, which was over 70 years old.
Local residents were evacuated on Saturday while authorities inspected the damage to nearby buildings.
Giza Governor Ali Abdul Rahman offered his condolences and EGP 15,000 to surviving family members. The collapse might have been caused by heavy rainfall on Thursday, said Rahman.
The collapse of residential buildings has been a recurring problem in Egypt, with the majority happening in the coastal city of Alexandria. Since July 2012, at least half a dozen buildings have collapsed in Alexandria. In that month alone, two buildings collapsed, with one crashing into adjacent buildings and leaving at least 20 dead. The other, which came one week after, killed a mother and her two daughters in west Alexandria. In September 2012, an ageing building collapsed.
The collapse of an eight-storey building in January of last year claimed the lives of at least 24 and left eight injured. In February, a three-storey building collapsed in Alexandria, leaving one dead and four injured. Two more lost their lives later in August when a seven-storey building collapsed.