Protesters in Port Said entered the third day of a civil disobedience campaign, criticising the way the government is dealing with investigations regarding the deaths of Port Said residents during violent clashes that took place following the court verdict of the Port Said football massacre last month.
Protesters called for appointing an independent judges’ panel to investigate the deaths of more than 40 people as well as more than 100 injured during the clashes. Protesters also demanded the dismissal of the Minister of Interior and the chief of the Port Said security directorate in addition to referring them to trial for being responsible for the death of Port Said residents.
On Monday, Port Said Governor Ahmed Abdallah announced that Minister of Justice Ahmed Mekki assigned a judge to investigate the violent clashes.
Anadolu Turkish news agency reported on Tuesday that almost all stores in Al-Arab district are closed, while 80% of stores in the eastern district are closed. It added that many students did not go to school, estimating 90% of students stayed at home.
Protesters chanted slogans criticising President Mohamed Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood, while activists reported that some slogans were calling for the independence of Port Said from Egypt.
Workers of Port Said shipyard also continued their strike, announcing they would march in the streets of Port Fouad city later on Tuesday.
Workers from other industries also participated in the protests, which were initially called for by members of Ultras Green Eagles (Al-Masry football club fans). Protesters spent Monday night in tents at Al-Shohadaa Square, located in front of the Port Said governorate building.