- Drink: Cocktail
- Salad : Green Salad
- Main Course: Makaroona béchamel
- Chicken fillet
- Desert: Jelly
½ kg minced meat – lah-ma ma-froom-a
½ cup water – ma-ya
1 egg, beaten – beid
1 medium size onion, chopped – ba-sal
4 cups full cream milk – la-ban ka-mel ad-da-sam
3 tbsp butter – or ghee – zeb-da or sam-na
2 tbsp corn oil – zeit dor-a
3 tbsp flour – di-ee
1 pack penne or any kind of pasta – ma-ka-roo-na
salt and white pepper – malh and fil-fil a-bi-ad
Preparing meat filling and pasta
- In a medium pan, heat oil over medium heat. Stir in onion until yellow. Add minced meat and stir well for 2-3 minutes. Add water, salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat, cover pan, and leave to cook for about 10-15 minutes.
- In a large pan boil a generous amount of water. Add the pasta (penne)and cook as recommended on the pack. Drain pasta.
- While the meat and penne are cooking, prepare the béchamel.
- In a medium saucepan, melt 2 tbsp butter over medium-high heat. Add flour while stirring constantly for 15 seconds.
- Add milk and whisk frequently until smooth. Add salt and white pepper. Bring to boil (3-4 minutes).
- If the béchamel is too thick add a little milk and whisk until mixed well, if the sauce is too thin, add a little flour and whisk until blended.
Preparing makaroona béchamel
- Heat oven to high heat (210C)
- Butter a baking dish with remaining butter. Split the béchamel in half. Mix one half with the pasta until the sauce covers all pasta.
- Spread half of the pasta on the bottom of the dish. Spread the meat on the layer of pasta and add the second half of the pasta on top of the meat.
- Mix the beaten egg with the rest of béchamel. Pour over the pasta in baking dish.
- Place penne in oven for 40-45 minutes until surface becomes golden brown. Serve immediately in the same dish.
- Part of the milk in the béchamel can be replaced by chicken stock.
- Tomato paste can be added to the minced meat to add flavor.