1 cup Egyptian rice – roz ba-la-di
1 cup yellow lentils – ads as-far
3-4 eggs – beed
6 tbsp margarine – zib-da
3 ½ cup of water – ma-ya
2 onions, chopped or sliced – ba-sal
Salt – malh
3 tbsp cumin powder, for taste and to give the koshary its distinctive colour – ka-moon
- Wash rice and lentils separately under running water, remove the impurities and drain.
- In a medium deep pan heat and stir 2 tbsp margarine until melted. Add water, salt and cumin and wait until water boils.
- Add the rice and lentils and cook on high heat without covering until water is almost absorbed. Cover, move to low heat and cook for 30 minutes.
- Heat and stir 2 tbsp margarine in a skillet until melted. Add the onions and fry until golden brown. Set aside.
- Boil the eggs until hard and shell them. Fry the hardboiled eggs in 1 tbsp margarine or oil until the whites turn golden.
- Serve the koshary on a large plate with the fried onion on top. Arrange the eggs around the edge of the plate.
For those who do not like to eat eggs you can serve the koshary with a green salad on the side.