Tagen Bamya [okra casserole]
- With a sharp knife, remove a thin layer from the top of each okra, forming it into an inverted cone. Remove the bottom tip as well. Wash thouroughly under running water and drain.
- Chop the tomatoes and blend with a half cup of water.
- In a tagen, a stone casserole, mix the oil, okra, blended tomatoes, garlic, chili powder, onion, salt and pepper. Add enough water to cover the ingredients.
- Arrange the lemon slices on top (optional).
- Cover the tagen with aluminium foil, place in oven and cook at high heat (230-240C) for 45 to 50 minutes until the ingredients are tender.
- Remove the aluminium foil from the tagen and turn on grill, broil for 10 minutes.
- If you would like to add meat to the, just add ½ kilo of veal or beef at step 3.
- It is possible to use lamb as well, in that case boil the lamb for 20 minutes until semi-tender, before adding it at step 3.