Daily News Egypt

Interpol issues arrest alerts for two Libya officials - Daily News Egypt

Advertising Area



Advertising Area




Interpol issues arrest alerts for two Libya officials

By AFP LYON: The global police agency Interpol issued alerts Thursday seeking the arrest of two senior officials in late Libyan strongman Moamar Qaddafi’s regime on suspicion of torture and kidnapping. A statement from the France-based body said Libya had requested assistance in detaining two officials identified as former interior minister Al-Senussi Alozyre, 63, and …


By AFP

LYON: The global police agency Interpol issued alerts Thursday seeking the arrest of two senior officials in late Libyan strongman Moamar Qaddafi’s regime on suspicion of torture and kidnapping.

A statement from the France-based body said Libya had requested assistance in detaining two officials identified as former interior minister Al-Senussi Alozyre, 63, and his former deputy Naser Al-Mabrook, 60.

Both reportedly fled Libya during the uprising last year that toppled Qaddafi’s regime. They are “accused of a range of offences including carrying out illegal arrests, unjustified deprivation of personal liberty and torture”.

Several other Libyan officials are subject to Interpol “Red Notice” arrest requests, including the dictator’s surviving sons and his former intelligence chief Abdullah Senussi, 62, who is being held in Mauritania.

“They are wanted for crimes against humanity and they have escaped Libya,” a senior interior ministry official told AFP in Tripoli, adding that their whereabouts remain unknown.

Alozyre, who was the last interior minister under Qaddafi’s ousted regime, oversaw the dictator’s internal security agencies in the east of the country. He is accused of taking part in the former regime’s crackdown on Islamists during the 1980s and 1990s.

Former rebels briefly detained him after the start of the revolution in February last year but tribal reportedly leaders obtained his liberation.

He fled to Egypt and then Tunis before returning to Tripoli and assuming his post as Qaddafi’s final interior minister in March 2011.

Alozyre reportedly fled after the fall of Tripoli in August. Mabrook, who served in the interior ministry, also reportedly escaped after former rebels took over the capital.

 

Advertising Area

Advertising Area



https://www.dailynewsegypt.com/2012/04/06/interpol-issues-arrest-alerts-for-two-libya-officials/
Breaking News

No current breaking news

Daily News Egypt Android App Available for free download on Google play
View
Daily News Egypt Ios App Available for free download on APP Store
View
Social Media Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com