CAIRO: Mohamed Barakat says he was not named for Egypt’s friendly match with DR Congo because he had already retired from international football.
Several sport pundits called on Egypt coach Hassan Shehata to include the Ahly midfielder in his squad for Wednesday’s game.
But Barakat stressed that he will no longer feature for the Pharaohs, saying he had ended his international career after Egypt’s disqualification from the 2010 World Cup.
"I sat down with Shehata after the World Cup decider in Sudan (Which Egypt lost 1-0 to Algeria in November) and I told him about my retirement," Barakat told reporters.
"I won’t be able to play at the 2014 World Cup, so I felt it’s time to retire.
"But my relationship with Egypt’s coaching staff remains perfect."
Barakat had 70 Egypt caps and scored 9 goals on the international stage. He participated in the 2002, 2004 and 2006 African Cup of Nations.
The 33-year-old started his career at lower division side Al-Sekka Al-Hadid but only made his name at Ismaili, the club he joined in 1998.
He moved to Egyptian champions Ahly in 2004 after spending two spells at Qatar’s Arabi and Ahly Jeddah.