CAIRO: Egyptian authorities on Tuesday called off a search for four divers, including three foreigners, missing off a Red Sea dive resort after they were presumed dead, security sources said.
Egyptian rescue services have not managed to find any of the four divers who went missing on Saturday in the Red Sea. All search operations have been called off after deciding that finding any of the four divers was near impossible, the source said.
A helicopter and 15 boats had been searching for the four divers – two Russians, one Dutch national and one Egyptian – since Saturday, after they were separated from their boat in the shark-infested Red Sea waters.
They had gone on a dive trip to the famed Elphinstone site near Marsa Alam, known for its shark sightings, with the Beach Safari dive company.
The four divers may have met their fate due to a drop in the water temperature, the source said.
The Red Sea, particularly the reefs in the southern areas, is a major diving attraction, with thousands flocking to Egyptian resorts such as Marsa Alam.