- ½ kg meat cubes – lah-ma
- ½ kg peas – bi-sil-la
- 3 medium carrots, in small cubes – ga-zar
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped – ba-sal
- 3 large, ripe tomatoes – ta-ma-tam
- 2 tbsp tomato paste – sal-sa ta-ma-tam
- 1 tsp margarine, or 2 tbsp oil – sam-na or zeit
- 1½ cup water – ma-ya
- salt and pepper – malh and fil-fil
- Heat the margarine or oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Add the onions and stir until they turn yellow. Add the meat cubes and fry until brown while stirring frequently.
- Shell the peas and wash well. And the peas and carrots to the meat and stir well. Add ½ cup water and leave to cook for about 15 minutes, adding water frequently.
- In the meantime, add the tomatoes with ½ cup water in a blender and blend until juiced. Add to the pan with the vegetables and meat. Add the tomato paste, ½ cup water, salt and pepper.
- Cover pan and reduce the heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Add more water when needed. Serve with plain rice or rice with shareya (fine, fried vermicelli pieces).
You can also add potatoes to the recipe. Peel, wash and cut the potatoes into bite sized cubes and add to recipe with peas and carrots. Follow the rest of the steps as stated above.