Six European countries expressed deep concern over the continuing violence in the occupied Palestinian territories, calling for an end to the unilateral actions by the Israeli government that threaten peace.
In a statement on Saturday, the French Foreign Ministry said: “France, Germany, Italy, Poland, the United Kingdom, and Spain express their deep concern about the continuation and intensification of violence in the occupied Palestinian territories.”
“We strongly condemn the recent terrorist attacks that caused the death of Israeli citizens, and terrorism can never be justified. We also strongly condemn the indiscriminate violence practised by Israeli settlers against Palestinian civilians,” the statement read, calling for “an end to all unilateral actions that threaten peace and incite violence.”
On Sunday last week, Hawara, south of Nablus, witnessed unprecedented attacks by Israeli settlers, which resulted in the death of a Palestinian, the injury of dozens, and the burning and destruction of dozens of homes and cars, after two settlers were killed in a shooting near the town.
Meanwhile, Israel’s Minister of Finance, Bezalel Smotrich, called for the erase of the Palestinian village of Hawara, in the northern West Bank.
Several countries and organizations condemned Smotrich’s statements, including the United States, France, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, the UAE, Jordan, the European Union and the Gulf Cooperation Council.
Moreover, Cairo declared its condemnation in the strongest terms of what it described as inflammatory statements and said that it lacked responsibility and considered it as an incitement to an unacceptable danger to violence.