The English football association is looking into a new racist abuse against Middlesbrough hitman Ahmed Hossam Mido , who was taunted in Sunday s goalless draw with Newcastle United in the Premier League.
The Egyptian international came on as a substitute on 77 minutes. He allegedly suffered from racial slurs by the opposition s spectators before stepping onto the pitch.
We ll have to look at it. We ll speak to the clubs. This will most likely involve working with Newcastle to try to prevent it happening again, an FA spokesman said in the Daily Telegraph.
Last year, the 25-year-old was insulted during the same fixture by some of the Magpies discriminative supporters, but no firm actions were taken.
Apparently, the FA s ongoing investigation in the unfortunate incident is more serious this time around.
The police may also be involved in helping identify any offenders because this is potentially a criminal offence. We want to make it clear you can t get away with chants like this, he added.
Boro manager Gareth Southgate hopes to see Newcastle s racist fans get what they deserve.
All the same, he believes the club shouldn t be punished for their spectators improper conduct.
We have to rise above it. If people want to shout those things it s a reflection on them. There s a danger we go on a witch hunt. What do you do? Punish the club? the former Aston Villa Player said.
They can t do anything about their traveling fans. It s individual decisions to sing what they want. I don t think that s fair. How can a club in the size of Newcastle control individuals?
It s a sensitive one and I understand the importance, but I don t want to put the pressure on an excellent club like Newcastle.
Furthermore, Newcastle stressed that they do not allow such chants from their fans.
The club does not condone any sort of offensive chanting, a spokesman for Newcastle stated.