CAIRO: A big fire broke out Sat at the Siag Hotel in the pyramids area last weekend causing panic among residents, the Al Gomhuria reported. The flames raged into the other floors causing the hotel residents to rush out in their pajamas.
Six Egyptians, six Koreans and an American, in addition to an on-duty policeman, were injured in the fire. The fire started after an electric short circuit in an air-conditioning unit in room 316 that was occupied by Ali Mahmud Ali Nasr, 57, a mayor and his son Mahmud, 16. The firefighters of the civil defense department managed to bring the fire under control and rescue 61 Egyptian residents as well as another 56 of different nationalities in addition to 100 of the hotel staff. The foreigners were transferred to a neighboring hotel after the fire had destroyed 18 rooms when the mayor left the warm air-conditioner on all night.