You are here:  Home  >  Politics  >  Egypt  >  Current Article

Ultras White Knights members dispersed after interior ministry bars fans from match


Ministry of Interior barred audience from match “to ensure the safety and protection of the masses”

Ultras White Knights protest in Nasr City (Photo by Ahmed Al-Malky)

Ultras White Knights protest in Nasr City Yesterday
(Photo by Ahmed Al-Malky)

The Ministry of Interior announced Saturday that fans would not be allowed to enter a match against an Angolan side after Al-Ahly’s CAF Super Cup title game ended in running battles between fans and Central Security Forces (CSF) which resulted in 24 injuries.

The ministry’s statement read that the move was made “to ensure the safety and protection of the masses [from] elements trying to fabricate events that lead to security implications” in reference to “unfortunate events” witnessed after Thursday’s Ahly match.

Buses of Ultras White Knights (UWK) members were stopped from entering Cairo and members who tried to march to the game were dispersed by security forces which lead to the wounding of a UWK member.

The ultras released a statement via Facebook Sunday in response to the events, claiming that the members that had gathered before the match were dispersed when the interior ministry “reared its ugly head” and used tear gas, live ammunition, and birdshot to control the crowd.

“[The interior ministry] wants to turn the page on the past and open a blank page, [but] we find that page also stained with the blood of the martyrs and dozens of prisoners and the tears of mothers” the statement read, claiming that “justice, dignity and human rights” have been ignored by the ministry.

Clashes between groups of Ultras and security forces have been frequent since 74 members of Ultras Ahlawy were killed following a match against Al-Masry on 1 February 2012. Dubbed the “Port Said Massacre”, Ultras members accused the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces of allowing the mayhem to continue unabated, even accusing security forces of barricading exits to the stadium.

The case was brought to trial and on 26 January 2013, 21 defendants, alleged Al-Masry fans, were sentenced to death.

You might also like...

Final verdict for Mohamed Morsi due 16 May

Read More →