This month we share our favourite recipes for quick and simple to make dishes that can be used as appetizers, as part of an elaborate brunch or as late night snacks.
- 2 eggs, beaten – beid
- 1 block mozzarella cheese – mod-za-rel-la
- 4 tbsp oregano, dried and crushed – zaa-tar
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika – pa-pree-ka
- ½ cup flour – de’-‘ee
- 2-3 tbsp corn flour – de’-‘ee dor-a
- ¾ cup breadcrumbs – bo-so-mat
- salt and pepper – malh and fel-fel
- sunflower oil, for deep frying – zeit a-bad el shams
- Cut the mozzarella block into 3/4 inch thick sticks
- Put the beaten eggs in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with the oregano and paprika in a bowl. Mix the flour and corn flour in a separate bowl.
- Dip each mozzarella stick in consecutively the eggs, the breadcrumbs mixture, the eggs again and then in the flour mixture. Make sure that each stick is completely covered by breadcrumbs and flour.
- Repeat the same process with the rest of the mozzarella sticks. Arrange the sticks on a plate and cover. Place in the freezer for a minimum of two hours.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a deep-frying pan until very hot. Place the sticks in the oil while making sure they are not touching so they will not stick together. Deep-fry until golden brown, about 30 seconds, or until the cheese has completely melted.
- Remove the sticks from the oil and drain on kitchen paper. Serve immediately with any sauce you like.