Clashes between protestors and security forces continued in central Cairo on Tuesday and Wednesday, resulting in two more deaths and a number of arrests, including of minors. Along the Corniche El-Nile, the Semiramis Intercontinental Hotel was under siege for a second night in a row.
Wednesday afternoon saw clashes at Simon Bolivar square. People in plain clothes were seen throwing rocks on the side of security forces, who also fired tear gas.
On Wednesday morning a protestor was shot dead on Qasr Al-Nil bridge by “unidentified assailants,” according to state affiliated news agency Al-Ahram. An hour later the agency reported that another protestor was found dead in Abdel Moneim Riad square, close to Tahrir Square. This brings the death toll for the latest wave of clashes up to three in Cairo, after 19 year old Samir Ashraf Samir died from a gunshot to the neck in the early hours of Monday morning.
Rawda Ahmed, executive director of the Arab Network for Human Rights Information (ANHRI) said that between 50 and 60 people were arrested last night during clashes in Cairo. He claimed that at least one-third of those arrested were minors.
Ahmed said that some of the people arrested last night have been released but that the prosecution is appealing for them to be detained again.
“Since 26 January we believe that more than 100 people have been arrested,” reported Ahmed.
“Some of the minors contacted us through the hotline in order to inform their parents,” he said. Ahmed confirmed that ANHRI has provided legal aid to some of the arrested minors, who he says were arrested for a variety of charges such as illegal assembly and theft, including that of the Semiramis Intercontinental Hotel and schools in the area. He said that many were due to appear in civilian court on Wednesday.
The official Twitter account of the Semiramis Hotel tweeted on Tuesday night “SOS: Same thugs from last night have crowded around Semiramis and attempting to break in again.”
A representative from the Semiramis confirmed that all of the guests have been transferred to another hotel. He said, “the hotel will shut for a minimum of one week and then we will re-evaluate the situation.” He also confirmed that the hotel has lost money over the incidents as it has had to provide guests with refunds as compensation.
State owned news agency MENA reported that a total of 28 people had been injured in the vicinity of Tahrir Square over Tuesday night and Wednesday morning.