Terms of service
1. Proprietary Rights. As between you and us, we or our licensors, as applicable, own, solely and exclusively, all rights, title and interest in and to the Web Site, all the content (including, without limitation, text, photographs, graphics, audio, visual and audiovisual content) other than Submitted Materials (as defined in Section 6 below), code, data and materials thereon, the look and feel, design and organisation of the Web Site, and the compilation of the content, code, data and materials on the Web Site, including but not limited to any copyrights, trademark rights, patent rights, database rights, moral rights, sui generis rights and other intellectual property and proprietary rights therein. Your use of the Web Site does not grant to you ownership of any content, code, data or materials you may access on or through the Web Site.
2. Limited License. You may access and view the content on the Web Site on your computer or other device, and make single copies or prints of the content on the Web Site at your own risk and for your personal, non-commercial and internal use only, provided that you keep intact all copyright and other proprietary notices contained therein and use the same in accordance with all restrictions applicable to your use of the Web Site in general. Use of the Web Site and the services offered on or through the Web Site, are only for your personal, non-commercial use. You may not use the Web Site for commercial purposes or in any way that is unlawful, or harms us or any other person or entity, as determined in our sole discretion.
3. Prohibited Use. Any commercial or promotional distribution, publishing or exploitation of the Web Site, or any content, code, data or materials on the Web Site, is strictly prohibited unless you have received the express prior written permission from authorised personnel of the Newspaper. You may not download, post, display, publish, copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, modify, perform, broadcast, transfer, create derivative works from, sell or otherwise exploit any content, code, data or materials on or available through the Web Site. You further agree that you may not alter, edit, delete, remove, otherwise change the meaning or appearance of, or repurpose, any of the content, code, data, or other materials on or made available through the Web Site. This includes, without limitation, the alteration or removal of any Trademarks (as defined in Section 4 below) or any other proprietary content or proprietary rights notices. If you make other use of the Web Site, or the content, code, data or materials thereon, except as otherwise provided above, you may be subject to liability for such unauthorised use (including, without limitation, for violations of copyright and other applicable laws).
4. Trademarks. The trademarks, logos, service marks and trade names (collectively the “Trademarks”) displayed on the Web Site or on content available through the Web Site are registered and unregistered Trademarks of ours and others and may only be used in accordance with Section 2 above, provided that such use may not be likely to cause customer confusion or, in any manner, disparage or discredit their rights holders. All Trademarks not owned by us that appear on the Web Site or on or through the Web Site’s services, if any, are the property of their respective owners.
If you submit a photograph or video, you also agree to, represent and warrant the following: (i) you have the rights necessary to authorise us and our affiliates (and our Representatives) to use such photograph or video as permitted by these Terms and Conditions; (ii) you authorise us and our affiliates (and our Representatives) to use such photograph or video as permitted by these Terms and Conditions; (iii) you have obtained the necessary permissions, if any, for us and our affiliates (and our Representatives) to use such photograph or video in accordance with the Terms and Conditions; and (iv) such photograph or video has not been manipulated or altered in any manner so as to distort or misrepresent any individual or thing depicted in it.
The Newspaper may make messaging services, message boards, photo galleries, blogs, user review and ratings forums, and other such services and features available on or through the Web Site to which you may have the opportunity to provide or submit Submitted Materials. In addition to any other rules or regulations that we may post in connection with a particular service or feature, and in addition to the rest of the Terms and Conditions, you represent, warrant and agree that you shall not upload, post, transmit, distribute or otherwise publish through the Web Site or any service or feature made available on or through the Web Site, any materials which are, do, or could reasonably be construed to be or do any of the following:
• restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Web Site or the Web Site’s services;
• are fraudulent, unlawful, threatening, abusive, harassing, libellous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, offensive, pornographic, profane, sexually explicit or indecent, or that threatens or invites violence, or that is derogatory of others on the basis of gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual preference or disability;
• constitute or encourage conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, give rise to potential civil liability or otherwise violate any local, state, national or international law;
• violate, plagiarise or infringe the rights of third parties including, without limitation, copyright, trademark, trade secret, confidentiality, contract, patent, rights of privacy or publicity or any other proprietary right;
• contain a virus, spyware, or other harmful component;
• contain embedded links, advertising, chain letters or pyramid schemes of any kind;
• constitute or contain false or misleading indications of origin, endorsement or statements of fact; or
• contain sensitive, proprietary or confidential information about yourself or others. Except as may be expressly permitted in connection with one of the Web Site’s services, you also may not offer to buy or sell any product or service on or through your Submitted Materials. The Newspaper will not accept responsibility for any information included in any Submitted Materials created or posted by users. You alone are responsible for the content and consequences of any and all of your activities and you submit Submitted Materials at your own risk.
7. Prohibited User Conduct. You warrant and agree that, while using the Web Site and the various services and features offered on or through the Web you shall not: (a) impersonate any person or entity, whether actual or fictitious, including anyone from the Newspaper or its affiliates, or misrepresent your affiliation with any other person or entity; (b) insert your own or a third party’s advertising, branding or other promotional content into any of the Web Site’s content, materials or services (for example, without limitation, in an RSS feed or a Podcast received from the Newspaper or otherwise through the Web Site), or use, redistribute, reuse, republish, repurpose or otherwise exploit such content or service for any purpose or reason, including without limitation, further commercial or promotional purposes; or (c) attempt to gain unauthorised access to other computer systems through the Web Site. You also shall not and, by your use of the Web Site, represent and warrant that you are not:
• obtaining or attempting to obtain unauthorised access to computer systems, materials or information through any means;
• using the Web Site or the Web Site’s services or features in any manner with the intent to interrupt, damage, disable, overburden, or impair the Web Site or such services or features;
• removing, concealing, editing or otherwise altering any trademark, copyright or other proprietary rights notice;
• using the Web Site or the Web Site’s services or features in violation of the Newspaper’s or any third party’s intellectual property or other proprietary, privacy or legal rights;
• using the Web Site or the Web Site’s services in violation of any applicable law, whether Egyptian statute or internationally agreed norms;
• using the Web Site in any manner that could damage, disable, overburden, or impair the Web Site or interfere with any other party’s use and enjoyment of the Web Site or any of its services; or
• obtaining or attempting to obtain any materials or information through any means not intentionally made publicly available or provided for through the Web Site.
8. Right to Monitor and Editorial Control. The Newspaper reserves the right, but does not have an obligation, to monitor and/or to review all materials posted to the Web Site or through the Web Site’s services or features by users, and the Newspaper is not responsible for any such materials posted by users. The Newspaper is not responsible for any failure to monitor, review and/or delete any materials posted to the Web Site or through the Web Site’s services or features by users. However, the Newspaper reserves the right at all times to disclose any information as necessary or advisable to satisfy any law, regulation or government request; and to edit, to refuse to post or to remove any information or materials, in whole or in part, that, in the Newspaper’s sole discretion, are objectionable or in violation of these Terms and Conditions, the Newspaper’s policies or applicable law or for any reason whatsoever. We may also impose limits on certain features of the forums or restrict your access to part or all of the forums without notice or penalty if we believe you are in breach of the guidelines set forth in our Terms and Conditions or in violation of applicable law, or for any other reason without notice or liability.
9. Transactions or Relationships Formed Between Users on the Web Site. Some materials or information accessible in certain areas of the Web Site may be provided by other users and not by the Newspaper (including, for example and without limitation, information provided by individual property owners and real estate brokers, advertisements for third party or user-provided products or services, and submissions to blogs, photo galleries, message boards, chat rooms, review and ratings forums and other public forums available on or through the Web Site). From time to time, there may be opportunities on or through the Web Site for you to purchase certain products and/or services directly from such third parties (and in many cases, other users) who have advertised such products or services on the Web Site. The Newspaper assumes no responsibility for, and you are solely responsible for confirming, the availability, appropriateness, accuracy, sufficiency, correctness, veracity, completeness, reliability and timeliness of any such user-provided information, content, products, services, advertising or other materials. The inclusion of any such user-provided content on the Web Site does not imply endorsement or sponsorship by the Newspaper. You are solely responsible for any and all consequences of any such activities, transactions and relationships that you may conduct or form with other users of the Web Site. Any purchases that you make from such third parties or users who have advertised on or through the Web Site are made at your own risk. You acknowledge and agree that the Newspaper has no responsibility or liability for such purchases and/or transactions.
10. Linking to the Web Site. You agree that if you include a link from any other web site to the Web Site, such link shall link to the full version of an HTML formatted page of this Web Site. You are not permitted to link directly to any image hosted on the Web Site or our services, such as using an “in-line” linking method to cause the image hosted by us to be displayed on another web site. You agree not to link from any other web site to this Web Site in any manner such that the Web Site, or any page of the Web Site, is “framed,” surrounded or obfuscated by any third party content, materials or branding. We reserve all of our rights under the law to insist that any link to the Web Site be discontinued, that the link open in a new browser window, and/or to revoke your right to link to the Web Site from any other web site at any time upon written notice to you.
11. Indemnification. By submitting or posting any User Information, photograph, video, and/or Submitted Materials or by using the Web Site you acknowledge and agree that, in the event that it becomes necessary or advisable for us to defend ourselves, in a court of law or otherwise, with respect to any such User Information, photograph, video, and/or Submitted Materials, or you engage in any prohibited conduct, as described below, we may rely on your representations and warranties contained herein. You agree to defend, indemnify and hold the Newspaper, its affiliates and Representatives and each of their respective directors, officers, employees and agents harmless from any and all claims, liabilities, costs and expenses, including reasonable attorneys’ fees and other costs of enforcing these Terms and Conditions, arising in any way from your use of the Web Site, your placement or transmission of any message, content, information, software or other materials on or through the Web Site, or your breach or violation of the law or of these Terms and Conditions. The Newspaper reserves the right to assume the exclusive defence and control of any matter subject to indemnification by you, and in such case, you agree to cooperate with the Newspaper’s defence of such claim and to reimburse the Newspaper for the reasonable costs and expenses thereof.
13. Notice and Procedure for Making Claims of Copyright Infringement.
We respect the intellectual property rights of others, and require that the people who use the Web Site, or the services or features made available thereon, do the same. If you believe in good faith that a copyrighted work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please contact:
The Daily News Egypt
12 Haround Street
Tel: +202 37486853
Fax: +202 37486936
Email: [email protected]