Daily News Egypt

Funerals reignite clashes - Daily News Egypt

Advertising Area

Advertising Area

Funerals reignite clashes

Death toll rises in Port Said as security directorate and governorate buildings are set on fire

People carry a coffin during the funeral of three people killed in overnight clashes with police on March 4, 2013 in the Egyptian canal city of Port Said. Five people, including two policemen, were killed and hundreds were injured in the overnight fighting after authorities decided to move prisoners awaiting a verdict over alleged involvement in a deadly football riot last year.( AFP Photo\ Stringer)
People carry a coffin during the funeral of three people killed in overnight clashes with police in the Egyptian canal city of Port Said. ( AFP Photo\ Stringer)

Massive funeral marches for those who died overnight in Port Said took place on Monday afternoon. The funerals were followed by renewed clashes between protesters and police.

In the midst of the clashes, fire was set to the Port Said Security Directorate and the adjacent governorate building.  Activists reported that the fire at the security building was larger than that at the governorate building.

State-run MENA reported the fire in the governorate building was caused by protesters who threw Molotov cocktails at the building.

Activist Nasser Al-Boghdady said those responsible for the fire were dressed in plain clothes and that at least one of them was chased by people on motorcycles and handed over to the army. He believes that they are affiliated with the police.

Activists Ibrahim Al-Sayad and Al-Boghdady reported renewed clashes between the army and police on Monday afternoon. They added that two more protesters died as a result of the Monday clashes between police and protesters. Al-Sayad said one of those who died was not involved in the clashes and was killed by live bullets fired by police.

A Ministry of Interior official stated that one policeman died Monday as a result of injuries sustained during Sunday’s clashes.

Tarek Al-Kotty, a resident of the port city, said police fired teargas cannisters after the funeral marches ended.


Advertising Area

Breaking News

No current breaking news

Receive our daily newsletter