Sudanese warring parties agree to negotiate: UN envoy

Sami Hegazi
3 Min Read

The Special Representative of the Secretary-General of the United Nations in Sudan, Volker Peretz, announced on Monday that the two warring parties in Sudan agreed to negotiate to find solutions to their three-week conflict.

Peretz said that the Sudanese Armed Forces and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) have agreed to send representatives to the negotiations, which are likely to take place in Saudi Arabia.

“Negotiations will initially focus on reaching a lasting, credible and locally and internationally monitored ceasefire,” Peretz said.

“There are obstacles in convincing the two sides in the conflict to end the violence, and the UN will work to secure a ceasefire under national and international monitoring,” he added

The UN envoy   said that “So far, there are no direct negotiations, and there are preparations for talks between the two sides with some regional and international countries that work directly with both sides, and we support these efforts.

He noted that he is in direct contact with the two sides and that as soon as possible there will be direct talks between the representatives of the forces

“If agreed, these negotiations would be the first visible sign of progress since fighting broke out on 15 April.”

The Sudanese Ministry of Health said that around 530 people, including civilians and fighters, were killed in these clashes, and 4,500 others were injured.

“Tens of thousands of Sudanese have also fled the fighting, especially in Khartoum and Omdurman.” Many headed for the northern border with Egypt or to Port Sudan, and foreign governments evacuated their nationals

“The military said it had destroyed the RSF’s combat capability by 45 to 55%, after 15 days of fighting in Sudan between the two sides.”

“The situation is stable in all of Sudan’s states,” the military said in a statement on Monday. “During 15 days of fighting, our forces managed to reduce their combat capabilities by 40 to 55%.”

As the devastating conflict entered its third week, clashes erupted in Khartoum on Monday morning, with the UN warning of a collapse of the humanitarian situation as the warring parties exchanged accusations of violating the truce. 

Share This Article
Leave a comment