The University of Cambridge started a campaign on Monday for missing Italian student Giulio Regeni.
The campaign calls for launching a search Giulio, claiming he “mysteriously disappeared”.
On its official website, the university stated that they were aware of the disappearance, and had been in contact with the Italian government.
The statement read: “On behalf of the college and the university our thoughts are with Giulio, his family and friends, and currently we are waiting to hear from the Italian authorities.”
Regeni, who just turned 28, is a PhD student, and came to Cairo as a visiting scholar at the American University in Cairo (AUC). He has reportedly been missing since last Monday, the fifth anniversary of 25 January uprising, while he was on his way to Downtown via Behouth metro station.
His disappearance sparked cross-border concern on social media platforms, using the hashtag #WhereIsGiulio. Dozens of students and political activists from Egypt, the UK and Italy posted pictures and information about him, speculating as to where he might be.
Noura Wahby, who claims to be a colleague of his at Cambridge, said: “He has been studying Arabic for years; he loves Egypt and its people.”
Prominent civil rights lawyer Ragiah Omran believes that Regeni has been arrested, saying: “Enforced disappearances do not only impact Egyptians but also foreigners.” Egypt’s Ministry of Interior however, said it is still searching for Regeni, and so far there is no proof of any arrest.
The Italian Foreign Ministry said, in an official statement, that it is following Regeni’s case closely. Italian Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni spoke with his Egyptian counterpart Sameh Shoukry on Sunday, urging him to increase efforts to track down Regeni.
The fifth anniversary of the 25 January uprising witnessed unprecedented tightened security measures as military vehicles surrounded Tahrir Square and all its entry-points in order to counter any riots or anti-regime protests.
Hundreds were arrested ahead of the anniversary for “intent to protest on 25 January” according to the Interior Ministry.