GAZA CITY: Israel’s military paused its Gaza offensive for three hours Wednesday to allow food and fuel to reach besieged Palestinians, and the country’s leaders debated whether to accept an international cease-fire plan or expand the assault against Hamas.
About 300 of the more than 689 Palestinians killed so far are civilians, according to Palestinian and UN figures. Of those killed, at least 130 are children age 16 and under, says the Gaza-based Palestinian Center for Human Rights, which tracks casualties. Other estimates put the number of children killed so far at 215.
With criticism rising of the operation’s spiraling civilian death toll and Gazans increasingly suffering the effects of nonstop airstrikes and shelling, Israel’s military said it opened “humanitarian corridors to allow aid supplies to reach Palestinians.
Israeli military spokesman Peter Lerner said there would be a “recess in offensive operations to allow in supplies and fuel. Government officials said the lull would last from 1 pm to 4 pm local time. The military said it had been given the directive by the government.
As Israel’s leadership met in the morning in Tel Aviv, sounds of heavy gunfire and thick plumes of smoke engulfed the Zeitoun neighborhood east of Gaza City. Israel said it struck 40 Hamas targets during the hours of darkness. Gaza health officials said new strikes Wednesday morning killed eight people.
Outrage over an Israeli strike Tuesday near a UN school that killed 43 people continued, with the UN agency responsible for the building demanding an “impartial investigation into the attack.
The number of armed fighters killed remains unclear. Hamas fighters are known to have begun wearing civilian clothes and the organization is keeping its casualties secret and housing its wounded and dead in undisclosed locations.
Israel has lost six soldiers since launching a ground offensive on Saturday, and four other Israelis have been killed by rocket fire, three of them civilians.
Israel s lull in operations could ease the plight of civilians in Gaza, where much of the territory has no power or running water, because pumps are dependent on electricity.
More than 500 aid trucks have been shipped into Gaza since operations began. But even when aid crosses into Gaza military operations have prevented officials from distributing it, leading to food shortages in some areas.
A World Bank statement Wednesday said there are growing signs of a severe public health crisis in Gaza because of a shortage of drinking water and an escalating failure of the sewage system.
Insurgents hit the Israeli city of Ashkelon on Wednesday with a medium-range rocket, causing no casualties. Rocket fire has fallen off as Israeli troops tighten their hold on Gaza, taking over open areas used to launch rockets, but Gaza residents say insurgents are still launching from heavily populated areas.
Israel s leaders – including the top troika of Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni and Defense Minister Ehud Barak – were to discuss whether to broaden the operation in Gaza or move to accept a plan being proposed by Egypt and France to end the fighting.
Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak said the initiative calls for an immediate cease-fire by Israel and Palestinian factions for a limited period to allow humanitarian aid into Gaza and an urgent meeting of Israel and the Palestinian side on arrangements to prevent any repetition of military action and to deal with the causes.
International Mideast envoy Tony Blair said Tuesday the key to any cease-fire will be an arrangement to stop weapons smuggling over the Gaza-Egypt border.
French President Nicolas Sarkozy said Tuesday he saw the proposal as a small hope for ending the Gaza violence.
Israeli officials have said any cease-fire agreement must prevent further rocket attacks by Gaza insurgents and put in place measures to prevent the smuggling of missile and other weapons into the small Palestinian territory.
Hamas has demanded that Israel open Gaza s blockaded crossings as part of any agreement.
In the meantime, Israel has been making preparations to continue fighting.
The military has called up thousands of reserve troops that it could use to expand the Gaza offensive, supporting the three brigade-size formations of regular troops now inside. Defense officials said the troops could be ready for action by Friday. They spoke on condition of anonymity because the army s preparations are classified.
The Franco-Egyptian plan was given increasing urgency by the Israeli mortar strike near a UN school that killed 39 Palestinians and stained the streets with blood.
The United Nations said the school was sheltering hundreds of people displaced by the onslaught on Hamas insurgents. Israel said its troops returned fire on a Hamas squad that fired mortars at them from nearby.
Israel s military said its shelling – the deadliest single episode since Israeli ground forces invaded Gaza on Saturday following a weeklong air bombardment – was an attack on a military target and accused Hamas insurgents of using civilians as cover.
Christopher Gunness of the UN Relief and Works Agency, responsible for the school, said the agency is 99.9 percent certain there were no insurgents or military activity in its school.
That would not necessarily contradict Israel s claim that the insurgents were just outside.
Gunness demanded an investigation, and punishment for anyone found to have violated international law.
Two residents of the area who spoke with The Associated Press by telephone said they saw a small group of insurgents firing mortar rounds from a street near the school. They spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of reprisal. Gunness said 1,300 people were taking shelter from the shelling at the school.
The Gaza-based Palestinian Center for Human Rights said the presence of insurgents did not justify Israel s response. The presence of armed resistance does not justify in any way the use of excessive force that is disproportionate, the center said in a statement.
The carnage, which included 55 wounded, added to a surging civilian toll and drew mounting international pressure for Israel to end the offensive against Hamas. -Ibrahim Barzak reported this story from Gaza City and Matti Friedman from Jerusalem.