Home
Loading...
You are here:  Home  >  Politics  >  Egypt  >  Current Article

Abbas calls for indirect talks to resume in Cairo

  /   2 Comments   /   435 Views

President Al-Sisi hosted Abbas to discuss the situation in Gaza and Egypt’s efforts to reach a ceasefire

Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas
(AFP/File Petras Malukas)

President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi shared an “intimate” discussion on the situation in Gaza with Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas on Saturday morning.

Abbas arrived in Cairo on Friday for an official visit following meetings in Doha with Qatari Emir Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani and Hamas political bureau chief Khaled Meshaal following the collapse of a truce between the Palestinian factions in Gaza and Israel last Tuesday.

“Wasting time is a waste of the whole cause,” said Abbas, calling for a resumption of indirect talks with Israel, in a press conference following his meeting with the Egyptian president. He insisted that Hamas is “convinced” that Egypt’s initiative is the only way to achieve a lasting ceasefire.

Abbas reaffirmed the need for a ceasefire, stressing: “We should not ask why this or that happened. Who did what can be discussed later. The most important thing now is to end bloodshed.”

Senior Hamas member Ezzat Rishq announced on Saturday morning that Hamas signed a document calling for Abbas to pursue legal action with the International Criminal Court against Israel.

The Palestinian Authority leader was accompanied by Palestine’s chief negotiator, Saeb Erekat, intelligence chief Maged Farag, and head of the cross-faction Palestinian delegation for the Gaza talks Azzam Al-Ahmad.

Abbas said he intends to meet with Arab League Secretary General Nabil El-Araby during his stay in Cairo.

The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) has carried out airstrikes in the densely populated Gaza Strip since the ceasefire was broken last Tuesday evening. The Israeli forces claimed on Saturday that 400 rockets had been fired from Gaza towards Israel since the collapse of the ceasefire agreement.

The latest round of fighting has seen the death toll in Gaza rise to over 2,092, including at least 478 children, according to the Gazan health ministry. On the Israeli side at least 67 have been killed, including a four-year old boy on Friday at a kindergarten. The IDF claimed the rocket was fired from a school being used as a UN shelter, but retracted the claim hours later, saying it was a “shelter maintained by Hamas authorities in Gaza”.

 

About the author

Joel Gulhane

News Reporter

Joel Gulhane is a journalist with an interest in Egyptian and regional politics. Follow him on Twitter @jgulhane


You might also like...

(DNE Photo)

Man killed while planting bomb on railway tracks: Interior ministry

Read More →