Home
Loading...
You are here:  Home  >  Politics  >  Egypt  >  Current Article

Interior ministry to investigate Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis video

  /   3 Comments   /   915 Views

The video is part of psychological warfare executed by terrorist groups, says i

The Ministry of Interior will investigate a video with the logo of the militant group Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis showing armed men executing police conscripts in Sinai.

Investigations are taking place to analyse the footage released which should lead to finding the exact location of the broadcast and to identify the suspects, ministry spokesman Hany Abdel Latif, told privately-owned Al Nahar TV Tuesday.

The video shows the events of the murder of four police conscripts in Sinai which took place in June, and also included a speech by one of the armed men interrogating the Egyptian security members, accusing them of taking a part in the crackdown against Islamists.

Abdel Latif said that the release of such videos, “amid the obvious weakness of the Muslim Brotherhood in mobilising the masses”, means that these “terrorist groups” are launching “psychological warfare” against the Egyptian people.

In June, Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis released a video illustrating the group’s operation that took place outside the military intelligence building in Ismailia in October last year.

The Sinai-based group has claimed responsibility for several attacks in Sinai and Cairo over the past year, such as the assassination attempt on Minister of Interior Mohamed Ibrahim in September 2013.

A militant insurgency has been taking place in Sinai following the ouster of former president Mohamed Morsi, spreading in different parts of the country including a deadly bombing in Mansoura in December and  several deadly attacks on security buildings in Cairo in January.

Militant groups have increasingly staged drive-by shootings at checkpoints and border posts, having killed 22 border guards in an attack at the Egyptian-Libyan border last month.


You might also like...

President  Abdel Fattah al-Sisi 
(AFP PHOTO/STR)

Reactions to the presidential statement to Daily News Egypt

Read More →